Trial set for UK men accused of collaborating with Hong Kong intelligence service

close What happened to the Hong Kong pro-democracy protests? Video

What happened to the Hong Kong pro-democracy protests?

Fox News' Bret Baier has the latest on the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong on 'Special Report.'

  • Chung Biu Yuen, 63, and Chi Leung Peter Wai, 38, will stand trial for allegedly aiding Hong Kong authorities in gathering intelligence in the U.K.
  • A third suspect, Briton Matthew Trickett, was found dead under unexplained circumstances in a park after being charged in the case.
  • Chinese officials criticized the charges, labeling them as political manipulation and detrimental to China-U.K. relations.

The office manager of the Hong Kong trade office in London and another man will go on trial in February for allegedly helping Hong Kong authorities gather intelligence in the U.K. a judge said Friday.

Chung Biu Yuen, 63, and Chi Leung Peter Wai, 38, appeared at London’s Central Criminal Court for a preliminary hearing, charged with agreeing to undertake information gathering, surveillance and acts of deception that were likely to materially assist a foreign intelligence service between December 2023 and May 2.

Hong Kong authorities have confirmed that Yuen was the office manager of the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in London.

UK MAN CHARGED WITH COLLABORATING WITH HONG KONG INTELLIGENCE SERVICE FOUND DEAD

A third suspect, Briton Matthew Trickett, was also charged in the case, but he was found dead Sunday in a park under what police said were unexplained circumstances.

Chung Biu Yuen

Chung Biu Yuen leaves The Old Bailey in London, on May 24, 2024. Yuen and another man will go on trial in February for allegedly helping Hong Kong authorities gather intelligence in the U.K., a judge said on Friday. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)

Prosecutor Kashif Malik said during an earlier hearing that Trickett, reportedly a U.K. immigration enforcement officer and a former Royal Marine, had attempted suicide after being charged. He was also the director of a security company.

Justice Jeremy Baker set a trial date for Feb. 10, set to last for about five weeks. The judge said the men were granted bail on condition that they observe a set curfew and other restrictions.

The three men were charged under Britain’s National Security Act after an investigation by the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command. Prosecutors allege that the suspects also forced entry into a U.K. residential address.

3 MEN CHARGED IN UK FOR ALLEGEDLY COLLABORATING WITH HONG KONG INTELLIGENCE SERVICE

They were arrested earlier this month in London and Yorkshire in northern England by counterterrorism police, using provisions of a new law that allows suspects in national security and espionage cases to be detained without warrant.

The case drew strong criticism from officials in Beijing and Hong Kong, a former British colony that returned to Chinese control in 1997.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said Friday that the charges were "an act of political manipulation in the name of national security."

"It seriously infringed on the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese nationals in the U.K., gravely undermined China-U.K. relations, seriously violated the principles of international law and the basic norms of international relations and badly harmed the image of the U.K.," he told reporters.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In Hong Kong, a government spokesman said the city's Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development, Algernon Yau, met with Britain's deputy consul-general in Hong Kong on Thursday to reiterate concerns about the case.

Yau urged British authorities to handle the matter fairly and ensure the normal operation of the Hong Kong trade office in London.

All of the Hong Kong trade office's activities have been conducted in accordance with the law, the city's government added.

  • Related Posts

    US actor shot dead during attempted car theft

    General Hospital and Siberia actor Johnny Wactor was killed on Saturday in LA, his family confirms.

    Boy ‘rocked himself to sleep’ after teacher abuse

    A panel hears how music director Andrew Bruce abused three boys for his “sexual gratification”.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    US actor shot dead during attempted car theft

    • By Lalit
    • May 27, 2024
    • 10 views
    US actor shot dead during attempted car theft

    Boy ‘rocked himself to sleep’ after teacher abuse

    • By Lalit
    • May 27, 2024
    • 8 views
    Boy ‘rocked himself to sleep’ after teacher abuse

    McKenna no longer in contention for Chelsea job

    • By Lalit
    • May 27, 2024
    • 7 views
    McKenna no longer in contention for Chelsea job

    Papua New Guinea says landslide buries over 2,000 people alive

    • By Lalit
    • May 27, 2024
    • 8 views
    Papua New Guinea says landslide buries over 2,000 people alive

    Grealish almost falls off bus at Manchester City parade

    • By Lalit
    • May 27, 2024
    • 6 views
    Grealish almost falls off bus at Manchester City parade

    Stolen treasures: Scandal at the British Museum

    • By Lalit
    • May 27, 2024
    • 13 views
    Stolen treasures: Scandal at the British Museum